If there is one thing in life that defines us, it’s how we react after defeat. How we get up after defeat.
Yesterday, Anthony Joshua won the much anticipated rematch v/s Andy Ruiz Jr & become a two time heavyweight champion of the world.
When AJ lost to Ruiz this year on June 1st & lost all his belts everyone started doubting him. People said “He quit” , “He is all hype”, “Should change trainers” etc. People wrote him off. And it did not look like a one-off defeat, Ruiz had completely destroyed him.
It would’ve been easy for him to feel down and out, doubt himself maybe? But that’s where the champion mindset is tested. He remained humble in defeat & never lost belief in himself or his team. In a short 6 month span he trained hard, lost weight, became leaner & faster, switched up his game plan & was ready to go. Yesterday he put on a boxing masterclass & won the fight comfortably.
What can we learn from the AJ comeback?
- Never doubt yourself, but know where you f*cked up.
- No matter what, always remain humble.
- Don’t beat yourself up. Keep smiling, keep having fun but work hard on your craft.
- Stay hungry & always have a ‘warrior mindset’
- Don’t make any excuses, don’t try & blame other people or the situation.
- There is no substitute for hard work. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
- Ignore the naysayers, doubters & haters. Just switch off from all negativity & surround yourself with people who want the best for you.
“I’ve said it was like sitting an exam. I failed the exam first time. This time though I studied, prepared and I just knew I was going to pass.” – Anthony Joshua
“Man, the first time was so nice – I had to do it twice!” – This is what Anthony Joshua said after he become a Two Time Heavyweight Champion yesterday night.
— DAZN USA (@DAZN_USA) December 7, 2019
“Never a change in mentality. You know the saying, ‘Stay hungry, stay humble.’ I have stayed hungry and I have stayed humble. I am humble in defeat and I will remain humble in victory.” – Anthony Joshua